Firstly, the Air China website does not let you add an infant to your ticket upon purchase. You are instructed to call the Air China office, but when I did, after a 20 minute wait, I was told that there is an additional $150 fee to add infants on through the airline and I should do it through a travel agent??!? WTF? That sounded like rubbish so I called again (and waited another 20 minutes) and was told that it was $100.
Secondly, they only allow babies upto 6 months of age to use the bassinets. Are you serious? So, I asked, "You expect me to spend an 11 hour flight with my 17-month old baby sharing my economy seat", and he said, "Yes, or you can buy him another seat". Nice - at this point, I am considering a refund. Will keep you posted.
Other posts in the Airlines and Flying series:
For First-Timers: Overcoming Your Worst Fears of Flying with Your Kids
For Travelers in America: Preparing and Protecting Your Children from New TSA Security and Pat-Down Procedures
10 Insider Tips for Travel with a Baby
Six Reasons NEVER to Fly Air China (even without a child)
Packing for China: My All-Inclusive List
A note on airplane bassinets (and other notes)
Well we just had an awful experience with air france so thats out for us now!!! even though their partner airlines KLM and Delta were awesome on our trip to the US ...we used AF on our return... they wldnt return our unmbrella stroller to us at Paris and wldnt allow us to carry it with us abord an airbus when we flew upper class and had enough space crazy ppl... whats the point i think even if these are paid trips back home for us!!... anyway they said they wld plastic seal the pram etc yeah rite...out it came in bby and we didnt even recognize it as ours!!! ok enough venting ...our trip was amazing... nice blog kaams!!:)
ReplyDeleteyes that's why umbrella strollers are the way to go. and you should spend the time to get the airline to reimburse you anyway.
ReplyDeleteand good to know - will put air france on my list of airlines to watch out for!